City Of Aurora
City of Aurora Trash and Recycling Services
Trash, recycling, yard waste and large items are collected on the same day with a separate driver and vehicle for each type of service.
Program Options - Refuse:
Residents of Aurora can choose from the below options for refuse service.
- Base Cart Service: A single family household can choose from a 35, 65, or 95 gallon toter provided by Groot. Each week the toter plus unlimited 32 gallon bags or personal containers (not exceeding 50 pounds in weight) with a City of Aurora sticker attached will be collected.
- Low Volume Service: A 35 gallon toter will be provided for refuse service for every other week collection. Unlimited 32 gallon bags (not exceeding 50 pounds in weight) with a City of Aurora sticker attached will also be collected. There will be not additional containers offered for this program.
- Senior/Hardship Service: Residents age 65 or older and registered with the City’s ER discount program will qualify for this service which includes weekly collection of unlimited City of Aurora 14 gallon orange bags. This program is not eligible for vacation status.
Program Options – Recycling
Residents of Aurora can choose from the below options for recycling service. Click here for a list of Recyclable Materials
- Base Cart Service: Your choice of a 35 or 65 gallon toter will be provided by Groot for weekly collection. The cart plus unlimited 25 gallon personal containers will be collected weekly.
- Low Volume Service: A 35 gallon toter will be provided for weekly recycling collection. The cart plus unlimited 25 gallon personal containers will be collected. Additional containers will not be offered on this program.
- Senior Service: Residents age 65 or older and registered in the City’s ER discount program will qualify for this service which includes weekly collection of a 35 or 65 gallon toter provided by Groot. The cart plus unlimited 25 gallon personal containers will be collected.
The City of Aurora encourages residents to look for alternatives to bagging yard waste for collection. Residents who wish to reduce or avoid yard waste costs should use mulching mowers, leaf shredders, or backyard compost piles. For those residents who wish to have their yard waste collected, the City of Aurora offers the following programs.
- Bundled Brush: Unlimited bundled brush collection begins the first Monday in April and ends the first Friday in November. Branches and limbs 1/2 inch to 4 inches in diameter and 2 feet to 4 feet in length must be bundled. Each bundle must weigh less than 50 pounds. Bundled brush can be placed at the curb without a waste sticker. Brush less than 1/2 inch in diameter is considered yard waste and must be placed in a Kraft paper yard waste bag with a waste sticker attached.
- Spring & Fall Leaf Collection: Each year, yard waste bags containing leaves for 2 weeks in the Spring and 6 weeks in the Fall will be collected without a sticker being required. Exact dates will vary from year to year, depending on the weather. Dates will be announced each year in the Spring and Fall. Leaves must be placed in a 30 gallon Kraft paper yard waste bag and placed at the curb on your regularly scheduled garbage date.
- Christmas Trees: Christmas trees will be collected during the first and second full weeks of January. Trees must be free of plastic bags, all decorations (including tinsel) and tree stands, and be placed at the curb on your normal collection day. Due to the wire used to form them, wreaths and garlands will not be collected as recycling and must be stickered as trash.
Yard waste collection begins the third week in October and ends the first Friday in December. Yard waste must be placed in a 30 gallon Kraft paper yard waste bag not to exceed 50 pounds and have a waste sticker attached. The stickers used for yard waste are the same as the stickers used for excess garbage. Yard waste mixed with trash or yard waste in a trash can or plastic bag will not be collected. Yard waste will be collected on the same day as your trash and must be at the curb by 6 a.m.
Materials that do not fit in a cart or container, such as small amounts of construction debris and rolls of carpeting, must be securely tied in bundles not exceeding 2 feet in diameter, 4 feet in length, and 50 pounds in weight. A sticker must be affixed to each bundle. Single items such as chairs, tables, mattresses, etc. must have one sticker affixed to each item. Call Groot at 630-892-9294 with any questions.
The collection of appliances such as refrigerators, stoves, water heaters, etc. must be scheduled in advance by calling Groot at 630-892-9294. Appliances must have 1 sticker affixed.
Special Pick-Up & Temporary Containers:
For those times when residents have a large amount of refuse or yard waste that may be too time consuming to use 33 gallon bags or containers, Groot offers temporary containers or a special pickup. Arrangements must be made at least 24 hours in advance by calling Groot at 630-892-9294.
Electronic Waste Collection - "e-waste":
Effective on January 1, 2012, electronic waste is banned from Illinois landfills. The City of Aurora offers collection events. For more information on electronics recycling, call the Customer Service Center number at 630-256-4636.
The Illinois Electronic Products Recycling and Reuse Act prohibits any person from allowing or to cause mixing of any of the items listed with municipal waste that is intended for disposal at a landfill.
Groot Industries offers collection of these items directly from your home for an additional fee; however, you must call in advance to schedule a pick-up and make arrangements.
All items collected will be recycled and rendered inoperable. Due to the sensitive nature of some electronic items (computer hard drives or storage devices), we prefer to pick up items from the front, side, or top of drive locations.
Customers also have the option to bring their items directly to drop-off sites throughout the area, most of which are for no charge. Please visit the where and how page of our site and click on your county and then your town to search for area drop–off locations.
|Computers & monitors||Video game consoles|
|Digital converter boxes||Electronic keyboards|
|Cable receivers||Fax machines|
|Small scale servers||Satellite receivers|
|Video cassette recorders||Digital video disc players|
|Digital video disc recorders||Portable digital music players|
Household Hazardous Waste:
Hazardous materials include the following:
- Automotive fluids
- Cleaning solvents
- Flammable materials
- Motor oil
- Oil-based paint
These items cannot be set out for curbside collection.
- Christmas Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Memorial Day
- New Year's Day
- Thanksgiving Day
*Collections will be delayed one day after a holiday
*If the holiday falls on a Sunday there will be no collection on Monday and services will be delayed one day for the remainder of the week.
*If the holiday falls on a Saturday there will be no change to your regular pick up day
*If a holiday falls on a weekday service will be delayed one day later for the remainder of the week.
City of Aurora Garbage Sticker Vendors:
- Ace Hardware 2144 W Galena Blvd - Aurora
- Ace Hardware 994 N Lake St - Aurora
- Buikema Ace Hardware 963 W 75th St - Naperville
- Caputos Fresh Market 3115 111th St - Naperville
- Casa Blanca Supermercado 770 Claim St - Aurora
- Cermak Fresh Market 1250 N Lake St - Aurora
- City Of Aurora 44 E Downer Pl - Aurora
- City Of Aurora 3770 Mccoy Dr - Aurora
- Cod Citgo Gas 3890 E New York St - Aurora
- Cvs 300 N Eola Rd - Aurora
- Cvs 2211 S Eola Rd - Aurora
- Cvs 2360 W Indian Trl - Aurora
- Cvs 1910 Montgomery Rd - Aurora
- El Guero Supermercado 850 N Farnsworth Ave - Aurora
- El Guero Supermercado 30 N Root St - Aurora
- El Paso 634 E New York St - Aurora
- Jays Food Pantry 3450 Montgomery Rd - Aurora
- Jewel 1157 N Eola Rd - Aurora
- Jewel 1952 W Galena Blvd - Aurora
- Jewel 465 Route 47 - Sugar Grove
- Jewel 2855 W 95th St - Naperville
- Jewel 1759 W Ogden Ave - Naperville
- Jewel 2540 Us Highway 30 - Oswego
- Jewel 119 S Randall Rd – Batavia
City of Aurora Orange Trash Bag Vendors:
Orange 14-gallon trash bags are available to eligible seniors aged 65 years and older. They are sold at the following retailers:
- City of Aurora at 630-256-INFO(4636).
- Ace Hardware 994 N Lake St - Aurora
- Ace Hardware 2144 W Galena Blvd - Aurora
- Aurora City Hall 44 E Downer Pl - Aurora
- Aurora Customer Service Center 3770 Mccoy Dr - Aurora
- Jewel Food 1157 N Eola Rd - Aurora
- Jewel Food 1270 Lake St N - Aurora
- Jewel Food 2540 Route 30 - Oswego
- Jewel Food 1952 W Galena Blvd - Aurora
- Jewel Food 2855 W 95th St - Naperville
- Jewel Food 1759 W Ogden Ave - Naperville
- Priscos 1108 Prairie St – Aurora