City Of West Chicago
City of West Chicago Waste Management and Recycling
The West Chicago solid waste collection program is a modified volume based program whereby Groot Industries provides
either one (1) 35-gallon cart or one (1) 95-gallon cart to every single or two-unit family building.
Any additional refuse that does not fit within the cart will require a universal sticker which can be purchased at City Hall or other retailers. Residents are also provided with (1) 65-gallon recycling cart. The cart replaces the 18 gallon bin and residents may keep the bin for overflow of recycling or may leave a note on the bin for the recycling collector to take away and recycle. Please have all refuse and recycling at the curb no later than 6:30 AM on your pickup day.
Take Advantage of Free Online Bill Pay Today! Our free online
bill pay service allows you to pay your bill with just a few clicks. Plus, you can order containers,
access your account information, and much more all at no cost! Can't pay online? Call Groot at (877) 775-1200 to set
up automatic bill payments with your credit or debit card.
Refuse, Recycling and Yard Waste Program Highlights
- To maintain focus on recycling, all refuse placed outside of the cart will require a universal sticker.
- Participation in this program is mandatory for all West Chicago single-family and two-unit homes.
- The yard waste program requires one universal sticker for each "Kraft" yard waste bag or bundle. (NO CANS)
- Fall leaves must be in Biodegradable Kraft yard waste bags.
- Each residential unit will be invoiced quarterly.
- Residents are provided with (1) 65-gallon recycle cart, the bin may be used for overflow.
Refuse Program Options:
Standard Program Option Each household will receive one 35 gallon capacity tote for their use for weekly waste collection. One universal refuse /yard waste sticker will be required for every extra can or bag. Please have all items at the curb no later than 6:30am on your pickup day.
Large Family Option - Households have the option of a 95 gallon capacity tote (equivalent to about 3 regular garbage cans) for an additional monthly fee; universal stickers will still be required for any extra items.
Senior Discount Program Seniors 65 years of age or older are eligible for a discount on the Standard (35 gallon) program ONLY. Bring your drivers license or state I.D. as well as your current property tax bill to City Hall for verification.
Each bulk item requires one (1)"Universal Sticker" to be affixed to it when placed out for weekly collection, here are some examples:
- Any items which are too large to fit into an approved refuse container and which exceed fifty (50) pounds.
- Sofas, tables, dressers, chairs, and mattresses etc.. Each requires one (1) sticker.
- One (1) sticker is required for up to five rolls of carpet (no longer than 4 feet in length and 18 inches in diameter).
- Construction type debris may be put in bundles not exceeding 4 feet in length or weighing more than 50 pounds, or containers not weighing more than 50 pounds. Each will require one (1) sticker per.
Electronic Waste Collection - "e-waste":
The Illinois Electronic Products Recycling and Reuse Act prohibits any person from allowing or to cause mixing of any of the items listed with municipal waste that is intended for disposal at a landfill.
Groot Industries offers collection of these items directly from your home for an additional fee; however, you must call in advance to schedule a pick-up and make arrangements.
All items collected will be recycled and rendered inoperable. Due to the sensitive nature of some electronic items (computer hard drives or storage devices), we prefer to pick up items from the front, side, or top of drive locations.
Customers also have the option to bring their items directly to drop-off sites throughout the area, most of which are for no charge. Please visit the where and how page of our site and click on your county and then your town to search for area drop–off locations.
|Computers & monitors||Video game consoles|
|Digital converter boxes||Electronic keyboards|
|Cable receivers||Fax machines|
|Small scale servers||Satellite receivers|
|Video cassette recorders||Digital video disc players|
|Digital video disc recorders||Portable digital music players|
State law requires us to collect and separately recycle white goods. Each white good requires Ten (10) "Universal Stickers" to be affixed to it when placed out for weekly collection. Residents must call in advance to (877)775-1200 and request a request special pick up. White goods are considered to be any large appliance which contains CFC or HCFC refrigerant gas, PCB containing capacitors, mercury switches, or other hazardous components. Examples: refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners, ranges (both electric and gas), dehumidifiers, water heaters, furnaces, ovens, humidifiers, trash compactors, washing machines, clothes dryers and other similar appliances.
Fluorescent bulbs, needles, paint, tires etc...create special problems, please click here for help.
Households are provided with (1) 65-gallon recycling cart for their use. All recyclables may be mixed together in the same cart. Personal containers may be used for extra recyclables, but only if the container is clearly marked Recycling Only. Do Not Put Recyclables In Plastic Bags. The bin may be used for overflow.
Click here for a list of Recyclable Materials.
Yard waste will be collected during the yard waste season of April 1st - November 30th. Residents may place their yard waste in biodegradable "Kraft" paper type yard waste bags that do not exceed 50 pounds in weight. Yard waste which is too bulky to be placed in a bag, such as branches or brush must be securely tied and bundled. Branches may not exceed 3" in diameter.
Grass clippings, leaves, twigs, garden debris, weeds, fruits, seeds, stalks, vines are acceptable landscape items.
Landscape does not include wood timbers, plastic edging, plant pots or trays, fertilizer or
landscape material bags, landscape fabric, root sections, sand, wood chips, bark, gravel, sod, firewood,
rocks, excess amounts of dirt or animal waste.
**Each yard waste bag or bundle requires one (1) "Universal Sticker" to be affixed to it when placed out for weekly collection. Collection is the same day as the refuse and recycling collection. Groot is also offering a yearly subscription service whereby a cart will be provided for an annual fee. Please call (877)775-1200 for more details.
Leaves will be collected at no charge for (5) weeks beginning the last week in October through the end of November; and, (1) week in April of each year. Leaves will only be collected if put in the paper yard waste bags. Any leaves in plastic bags or cans will not be collected.
West Chicago residents participating under the yard waste subscription program (with the 95 gallon cart) will be permitted to place approved food scrap materials in with their weekly yard waste.
Sticker Retailer Locations:
- City of West Chicago | 475 Main Street | West Chicago
- Jewel Food Store #360 | 652 Kirk Rd | St Charles
- Jewel Food Store #3338 | 177 E. Roosevelt Rd | West Chicago
- Murphy Ace Hardware | 319 S. Route 59 | West Chicago
- DG Hardware | 2650 E Main St | St Charles
- La India l 653 Joliet St l West Chicago
- West Chicago Clark l 139 W Washington l West Chicago
- BP Gas Station l 219 S Neltnor l West Chicago
- New Year's Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
*If the holiday falls on a Saturday, pick up will stay the same.
*If the holiday falls on a Sunday, Monday will be an off day.
*If the holiday falls on a weekday, service will be delayed until the next day.
*Friday's will be serviced on Saturday's following a holiday.
Service Termination Procedures Please note:
A minimum service level of one (1) time per week at the curb is required per City Ordinance. Groot will automatically enter the "Standard Rate Option" if an alternate method is not chosen. Failure to pay refuse bill will be deemed a failure of the resident to comply with the City Code. "Failure to pay any portion of the required fee for residential occupancy shall be deemed a failure to pay which will authorize the City to terminate water service until full payment is made."
Please see our on-line and automatic payment options on our web page. You may also drop off your payment into the GROOT drop box located at the city hall.
- If you will be away from West Chicago for longer than four weeks, contact us to have your service stopped for this period; you will not be billed for this time away. Service will automatically be resumed on the date you specify. The maximum Vacation Hold allowed per year is 120 days.
Your invoices from Groot will reflect a charge for the City's brush collection program. Groot will collect these funds and remit them to the City quarterly. Questions about brush pick-up should be directed to the City of West Chicago, (630) 293-2250.
- Groot will provide Christmas tree collection for a two week period in early January. During this collection universal stickers will not be required.
- Amnesty Day collection requires 8 universal stickers for an unlimited amount of refuse/ acceptable items neatly & properly contained.
The dates for the special services will be announced in the near future